Tuesday 6 March 2018

Ballerina Questions and Answers 3

Here’s our latest Q&A section with this wonderful adult ballerina - Camille from @nevertoolateforballet on Instagram!
She is also the brain behind @adultballetmagazine.
Here’s why I’m so inspired by this ballerina, these were her words in an email submitted regarding the Q&A section, “
 I hope that this community will continue to grow and show the world that when you’re determined, nothing can stop you and that people can be connected by an art. “

1. Please tell us briefly about yourself.
My name is Camille, I’m French - I live in Cannes. I’m a student in communication. I started ballet on the 10th of January 2017, aged 20, after I had dreamed of it since childhood. 
Also, if you don’t know, I’m the creator of the Adult Ballet Magazine :) 

2. What is it like doing ballet in your country?
Ballet and France… you know it, don’t you? Doing ballet in France can be kind of a big deal. That was one of the things that scarred  me most before I began. However, doing ballet in France is beautiful (as everywhere else I guess). It can be difficult to do ballet if you don’t fit in with the clichés of the perfect ballerina with infinite lines etc. At my amateur level, and in my school we have beautiful people;  not just looking at your body curves, but doing ballet for the love of the art. They have beautiful
personalities, dedicated and determined too.  

3. How did you become interested in ballet?
I always have been really, since I was a kid I dreamed of doing Ballet. When I was young - I was 6 years old, when I first asked my mother to do ballet - it was so expansive, and I think my mother was scared of the clichés of a tough teacher and difficult discipline. So I looked at ballet on TV and on the internet. I had stuff about ballet everywhere, I decorated my bedroom with ballet things… ballet always had been on my mind, really. I don’t know where it comes from, because nobody in my family has ever been interested in it. Maybe something like fate? *Laughs*

4. How do you feel you can use ballet to inspire people?
I think ballet can inspire everyone, even people who are not interested in it. The ability of the dancers, always going way beyond their limits, those kinds of things. I mean, do you know someone else other than a ballet dancer who can dance for hours on their toes? I think that if you’re a ballet dancer, you’re inevitably determined, dedicated, and want to give your best. So this state of mind can inspire everyone.

5. How do you keep yourself motivated when situations or people get you down?
Actually, I come here, on Instagram and look at other’s progress, at other’s struggles, at other’s success, at other’s ballet lives. Every dancer, particularly adult ballet beginners inspire me and give me the strength to keep going. My awesome teacher, my family and friends are some amazing support too.

6. What tips can you give to people doing ballet or wanting to start ballet/dancing?
Three words : BELIEVE. IN. YOURSELF. 

7. Who do you look up to and why?
I have a few accounts here on Instagram that I follow closely. Mainly, Natalie from @nataliedanza she is one of my favourites, because she’s beautiful and sooooo nice. She always gives tips and advice to others, and is always open to questions and conversation. She’s really someone nice, and I would love to meet her one day. 

I have so many other people that inspire me! 

Professionally speaking I love Maria Kochetkova since I was a kid, and I recently discovered Petra Conti, who I like very much. Isabella Boylston also. Oh so many people who I admire! 

8. What do you wish you were given as advice when you started dancing?
Hum… actually I was lucky, because when I began ballet, my teacher was kind of perfect and my classmates were so nice. My first teacher told me, “ I find this beautiful that you want to follow your dream, no matter the age or body stereotypes of ballet. Keep going because that’s really a beautiful project.” My new teacher told me something similar, “ you’re so dedicated and determined, never give up on your dream.” 
So I think I was given good advice when I began. So, first of all the advice that is important to me is, “ follow your dream, and never give up.” Nowadays, one of the phrases I love to say to people who send me messages about beginning ballet is, “follow your dreams, they know the way. “

Let us know what you think and how this has inspired you by blog comment or by email on: dancegrace2@gmail.com. Get in touch if you would like to be featured or know of someone.

Love to all xx


Copyright: Not my image, used curtesy of subject

No comments:

Post a Comment