Tuesday 3 July 2018

Ballerina Questions and Answers 5



Copyright: Not my images, used with permission by subject

Here’s our latest Q&A section with this inspiring adult ballerina - Inna from @bailarina.del.mar on Instagram!
Going through the Q&A section while preparing to post it on my blog, I was so inspired by what I read. 
It’s encouraging to see Inna focus on her fitness by going to the gym but also focusing on her love of ballet. I hope you are just as inspired by this post as I was initially reading it.

1. Please tell us briefly about yourself.
Hi! My name is Inna, I’m a 36 year old adult ballerina living in Spain. In a small city named Torrevieja (an old tower in English) by the Mediterranean Sea and loving ballet with all the passion of my soul.

2. What is it like doing ballet in your country?
Here in Spain classical ballet is not as popular as in England, France, or Russia, but in spite of this I think in every town you can find a dance school with ballet classes, at least for children. Adult ballet is not widely accessible, but you can join adolescent groups if you’ve had some practice before. So I did this when I arrived in Spain. I then found a dance school with adult ballet classes. I’m practicing at beginners level with adult ballerinas (Im allowed to wear pointe shoes during this class) at an intermediate level with adolescents. What is nice in Spain is there is a friendly atmosphere, and it’s awesome for beginners who feel shy and insecure at the start. They quickly become accustomed to it all, because the ballet teachers and buddies are all caring and attentive. This is what I appreciate a lot here.

3. How did you become interested in ballet?
 I was born in Russia and you know how valued ballet is in that country. The thing was, that for a long time non professionals didn’t have the opportunity to take ballet classes. Luckily, in the 2000s everything changed and a lot of fitness and dance centres appeared. I began taking classes in 2012, when I had discovered that in the town where I lived, adult ballet classes had became available.

4. How do you feel you can use ballet to inspire people?
I consider us to be very happy people who live in the XXI century, because at this time everybody has a chance to get in touch with this beautiful art. Ballet gives you force, grace, and a way to know and understand your body. For someone it’s a way to accept her or his body, to get in contact with it. For me personally, as I’m a warrior by nature, ballet is like a way to develop a new terrirory, to manage my body and never forget that everything is possible if you love it and take every effort to reach it.

5. How do you keep yourself motivated when situations or people get you down?
I’m a level-headed introvert, consistent and persistent and maybe these are reasons for my motivation to remain strong all the time.The only problem is that I’m not very healthy (often attacked by migraine and having abnormally tense muscles) and sometimes it makes my progress slower.

6. What tips can you give to people doing ballet or wanting to start ballet/dancing?
Guys as adult ballet dancers you have a lot of privileges. The main thing is that you, in comparison with professional dancers, can make your mistakes with no consequence. So, relax, put on the clothes you feel comfortable with (normally adult ballet classes allow you to be free in choosing your clothes) and don’t be afraid. It may seem strange, but you are unlikely to meet people watching you in class because everybody is too busy with themselves. Remember, you have all the time in the world to learn ballet, so give your brain a necessary period to get used to it and don’t panic if you mix something up while doing the exercise. Just enjoy.

7. Who do you look up to and why?
 I cannot name somebody in particular, but I really love the adult ballet Instagram community. It gives me additional energy. We are all different, but everybody has strong points to show, though very few dare to say “It’s my strong point” due to the amount of destructive critics in the comments. In spite of all the negativity given by people with lack of respect and education, the adult ballet community is growing and I’m happy to be a part of it, to share my experience and admire the experience of others.

8. What do you wish you were given as advice when you started dancing?
Being a slow poke I would have like to hear the words that it takes people different times to form the connection between the brain and the head, legs and arms movements. For me it was a long period of getting accustomed to it and I did encourage myself but I would’ve liked to get the confirmation.

Let us know what you think and how this has inspired you by blog comment or by email on:  dancegrace2@gmail.com. Get in touch as well if you would like to be featured or know of someone you would like to see featured.


Love to all xx

No comments:

Post a Comment